Monday, July 11, 2011

Did I cheat???





Here's a pic of the apron for my partner. I was in a thrift store and saw this bright and colorful Hawaiian man's shirt. So tropical .. and I had to have it. I remembered seeing an apron done from a man's shirt, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! I bought the shirt, brought it home and transposed it to an apron! VOILA!



Then I got to thinking .. did I cheat? I did cut and sew and "re-vamp" it to make the apron .. hmmm .. so I didn't want to cheat anyone .. so my partner will get not one .. but TWO aprons. I made her another .. and will be part of her tuck-ins!

I just loved this apron so much. I'm going to be on the lookout now for more men's shirts with patterns to make aprons. They make great full size aprons. I didn't sew the button's closed as the original pattern called for. I left them so it can be slipped on as a shirt. The shirt was a large, so if I did choose to sew it closed it would still fit over my head. I made the sash long enough to wrap around front or tie in the back. I used the back section of the shirt to make the sash. I kept the arms to use as scrap material. The shirt was short sleeve so the sleeves were not long enough to make the sash (as the original pattern called for). Once the apron was complete, I thought it was feminine and you couldn't even tell it was once a man's shirt!



I do hope she likes it. I loved the material and how easy it was to make .. and so unique! I'll be making more of these and soon! Even my husband loved it!

Best part of all .. it's recycled!

17 comments:

  1. I didn't join this round but had to say that this is precious! Your partner will be a lucky girl! I love re-purposing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not cheating ..... that's very clever!!!
    I think it turned out beautifully, and the fabric is so pretty:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it! awesome idea. Where did you find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not cheating. I <3 that apron. Very clever and I think your partner will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not cheating, creative! Love the blue. I know your swap partner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely cool!!! Terrific idea!! Is it mine?? I sew want it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So not cheating. I love it. I didn't join in this round due to time, but I wish I had. Your partner is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you cheated, so did I. I revamped a pair of beach pants that had the cutest aloha print. I searched for fabric and happened upon this soft cotton/rayon mix only it was already pants.I grabbed them and never looked back, add a bit of this and that and I hope my trade partner loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it's cheating - I think it's awesomely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't join this round but I think your re-do apron is great. I wouldn't call it cheating just very clever! I think your partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome apron, it looks amazing--i have to do some blog hopping and find out how to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your partner is one lucky apronista... and... the shirt looks like a "Helo Hattie" shirt... what fantastic colors and no 're-purposing' is not cheating... I make 1/2 aprons from mens XL shirts....
    >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome. I am not in the swap this time around, but I would LOVE an apron like this someday!!! I am totally going to do a search now for a tutorial on this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is, by far, the cutest and prettiest apron I have seen in a long while. Brava!

    Actually they are all beautiful. heheh But I do love the colors and style of this one.

    Any chance of a tutorial in the future? Would love to learn how you accomplised this.

    Happy sewing and God bless

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Apronistas -- I appreciate your lovely comments!!