Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Meets Old

Here's my finished creation...


The two parts are connected at the waist band and seperate down the sides. The overlay is a vintage table cloth. The underskirt is new fabric from JoAnns. I thought the curves on the new fabric mimicked the scallop and curves on the table cloth. The edge is done in bias tape. I have a new found LOVE for bias tape after this project. SO EASY! I made this for Frieda who requested a full apron. I couldn't get my mind around how to do full with this table cloth and design idea for the bottom, so instead I made it extra long so it could be tied at a higher waist line. These fabrics are totally not me, but I LOVED it anyway and might make another for myself. Here was the package all ready to go...

...unfortunately when I got to the post office I couldn't find the card or recipe anywhere! So I sent it off without them. Well, they were recovered this morning and will be on their way to Frieda soon. The matching napkins did make it to Frieda, though. Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful and great photos! Wish my camera took such good pics.
    Kat FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful apron. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH that was beautiful!! I think any apron loving lady would fall in love with that one. Wonderful work. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This absolutely beautiful
    Heirloom apron, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunning!
    I know frieda will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you incorporated the lace motif on the overskirt. another wonderful idea I will have to steal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a simple and effective way to include the vintage piece, in a way that really shows it off beautifully. Great selwection of fabrics. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone, it's gorgeous and truly a heirloom...great job!
    xxx
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful apron! Very lucky lady indeed to have napkins to match. I'm a full-apron lover myself, but I'd gladly add a half-apron like this one to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We feel very pleased you could come to our blog.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Let's keep in touch!Have a happy weekend.
    Look forward to further communicating with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just precious!! I have a tablecloth and napkins VERY similar to this, and I don't use them anymore because the insets are sort of shrunk, but it would make a PERFECT apron like this! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I LOVE this apron. I have a ton of old linens I've inherited and now I know what to do with them. I felt so bad about them sitting stuffed away somewhere. Clever, clever girl!! Stacy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Apronistas -- I appreciate your lovely comments!!